The annual Canadian Open Hickory Championship is hosted by the Legends Golf and Country Club and features players dressed in period style outfits (plus fours, tams, etc.) and playing with hickory-shafted golf clubs. A fun and competitive tournament all rolled into one, a great time is had by all with many players returning year after year. Many players come early or stay on to play at some of the local/mountain golf courses or to see the sights and make an extended holiday out of their trip.
Video FeatureView a news clip detailing the Canadian Open Hickory Championship.
2017 Canadian Open Hickory Championship
August 7–11, 2017Where else can you get 5 days of hickory golf, meals, and merriment at this close to 1935 prices! It’s the 2-day hickory road trip followed by the 3-day 18th annual Canadian Open Hickory Championship at the Legends Golf and Country Club. The Canadian Open uses all 27 holes of this picturesque course over 3 days. The tentative schedule:
August 7 and 8
- Many arrive a few days early or stay a few days afterwards to golf at a variety of courses. Early arrivers go on the annual hickory golf road trip on the Monday and Tuesday and participate in the Canadian Open Hickory Championship Wednesday to Friday. Sounds like a great week! All are welcome!
- This year the venues have yet to be decided. Stay tuned!
- Practice rounds and 4-man scramble team event
- Barbecue and social
- Canada/US Challenge for the Casey Cup – Ryder Cup match play format
- 27 holes: 9 holes 2-man scramble – 9 holes better ball – 9 holes singles match play
- Evening meal and get-together
- 27-hole championship in conjunction with the 18th annual Legends inductee tournament
- Steak dinner BBQ after the round
- 2016 Terry Bader
- 2015 Terry Bader
- 2014 Ben Plaunt
- 2013 Brendon Tomiak
- 2012 Michael Ream
- 2011 Ben Plaunt
- 2010 Ben Plaunt
- 2009 Ben Plaunt
- 2008 Glenn Jevnie
- 2007 Glenn Jevnie
- 2006 Darren Pockett
- 2005 Ross Kenny
- 2004 Randy Jensen
- 2003 Paul Biocini
- 2002 John Wilson
- 2001 John Wilson
- 2000 John Wilson
ContactContact Ron Lyons for additional information at 780-456-1649.
2017 Entry FormEntry form available here
- 2006 Skins Game Jack Nicklaus plays using wood shaft clubs!
- 7th Annual Canadian Open 2006 Featuring two hole-in-ones with the wood shaft clubs!
Casey Cup ResultsRyder Cup Match Play Format
- 2016 Canada 30 USA 14
- 2015 Canada 32 USA 12
- 2014 Canada 35 USA 13
- 2013 Canada 25.5 USA 14.5
- 2012 Canada 34.5 USA 13.5
- 2011Presidents cup competition
- Team Blue 38 Team Red 37
- 2010 Canada 38 USA 6
- 2009 Canada 31 USA 5
- 2008 Canada 38.5 USA 5.5
- 2007 Canada 18 USA 6
- 2006 Canada 19 USA 5
- 2005 Canada 20 USA 4
- 2004 Canada 12 USA 11
- 2003 Canada 16 USA 8
- 2002 Canada 15 USA 8